The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 1.98% or 0.95 points to trade at 48.83 at the close. Honeywell International Inc (NYSE: HON ) added 1.12% or 1.92 points to end at 173.47 and 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) was up 1.06% or 1.77 points to 168.40 in late trade.
Biggest losers included UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which lost 2.89% or 9.57 points to trade at 321.85 in late trade. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) declined 1.87% or 5.00 points to end at 261.83 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) shed 1.84% or 2.37 points to 126.59.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Concho Resources Inc (NYSE: CXO ) which rose 10.24% to 48.66, Cimarex Energy Co (NYSE: XEC ) which was up 4.92% to settle at 25.60 and Alliance Data Systems Corp (NYSE: ADS ) which gained 4.31% to close at 52.22.
The worst performers were Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC ) which was down 6.02% to 23.25 in late trade, Bank of America Corp (NYSE: BAC ) which lost 5.33% to settle at 23.62 and Illumina Inc (NASDAQ: ILMN ) which was down 4.35% to 330.12 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Kaixin Auto Holdings (NASDAQ: KXIN ) which rose 266.67% to 1.980, Medalist Diversified Reit Inc (NASDAQ: MDRR ) which was up 144.64% to settle at 2.85 and Replimune Group Inc (NASDAQ: REPL ) which gained 46.82% to close at 36.25.
The worst performers were Cyclerion Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: CYCN ) which was down 52.95% to 3.35 in late trade, Liquidia Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: LQDA ) which lost 18.14% to settle at 3.34 and Sorrento Therape (NASDAQ: SRNE ) which was down 15.48% to 10.10 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1857 to 1235 and 86 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1943 fell and 926 advanced, while 87 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 1.27% to 26.40.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.58% or 11.00 to $1905.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 2.34% or 0.94 to hit $41.14 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract rose 0.14% or 0.06 to trade at $43.44 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.1749, while USD/JPY fell 0.02% to 105.13.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.13% at 93.418.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.