The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 6.76% or 13.30 points to trade at 210.00 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 5.24% or 8.49 points to end at 170.53 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was up 2.74% or 4.63 points to 173.80 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Coca-Cola Co (NYSE: KO ), which lost 3.96% or 2.42 points to trade at 58.66 in late trade. Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) declined 3.96% or 6.05 points to end at 146.79 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) shed 2.75% or 13.41 points to 473.46.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Enphase Energy Inc (NASDAQ: ENPH ) which rose 10.82% to 175.99, SolarEdge Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: SEDG ) which was up 10.41% to settle at 328.91 and Quanta Services Inc (NYSE: PWR ) which gained 8.17% to close at 116.83.
The worst performers were Seagate Technology PLC (NASDAQ: STX ) which was down 9.51% to 90.57 in late trade, ConAgra Foods Inc (NYSE: CAG ) which lost 8.22% to settle at 30.93 and Intuitive Surgical Inc (NASDAQ: ISRG ) which was down 7.98% to 269.32 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Hycroft Mining Holding Corporation (NASDAQ: HYMC ) which rose 203.31% to 1.00, Kala Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: KALA ) which was up 88.49% to settle at 1.15 and Westport Fuel Systems Inc (NASDAQ: WPRT ) which gained 52.63% to close at 2.03.
The worst performers were Imperial Petroleum Inc (NASDAQ: IMPP ) which was down 43.33% to 4.25 in late trade, Inspirato Inc (NASDAQ: ISPO ) which lost 42.78% to settle at 15.25 and Digital Brands Group Inc (NASDAQ: DBGI ) which was down 30.61% to 1.36 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1694 to 1502 and 147 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2069 rose and 1727 declined, while 265 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.62% to 35.13.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 3.12% or 62.35 to $2,058.25 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 4.44% or 5.30 to hit $124.70 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 0.06% or 0.08 to trade at $129.27 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.01% to 1.09, while USD/JPY rose 0.01% to 115.68.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.17% at 99.12.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.