U.S. shares lower at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average down 0.54%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were lower at the close on Wednesday, as losses in the Healthcare , Financials and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares lower.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 0.54%, while the S&P 500 index declined 0.75%, and the NASDAQ Composite index declined 0.72%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which rose 9.88% or 15.83 points to trade at 176.07 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 0.95% or 1.66 points to end at 176.32 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was up 0.80% or 1.72 points to 217.57 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which lost 2.47% or 3.18 points to trade at 125.45 in late trade. 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) declined 1.92% or 2.87 points to end at 146.42 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) shed 1.81% or 3.06 points to 165.76.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) which rose 9.88% to 176.07, HP Inc (NYSE: HPQ ) which was up 3.86% to settle at 40.34 and Hess Corporation (NYSE: HES ) which gained 3.56% to close at 127.45.
The worst performers were Albemarle Corp (NYSE: ALB ) which was down 7.80% to 240.12 in late trade, Moodys Corporation (NYSE: MCO ) which lost 6.36% to settle at 282.38 and The Mosaic Company (NYSE: MOS ) which was down 6.10% to 58.69 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Missfresh Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: MF ) which rose 51.05% to 0.25, Spark Networks SE ADR (NASDAQ: LOV ) which was up 38.39% to settle at 2.92 and Energy Focu (NASDAQ: EFOI ) which gained 37.42% to close at 1.22.
The worst performers were CASI Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: CASI ) which was down 88.20% to 0.41 in late trade, Janone Inc (NASDAQ: JAN ) which lost 32.98% to settle at 2.50 and Dogness International Corp Class A (NASDAQ: DOGZ ) which was down 32.75% to 2.69 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1871 to 1313 and 133 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2417 fell and 1383 advanced, while 197 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.91% to 25.69.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.08% or 1.55 to $1,849.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 0.15% or 0.17 to hit $114.84 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.19% or 0.22 to trade at $115.82 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.77% to 1.07, while USD/JPY rose 1.15% to 130.16.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.80% at 102.58.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or