The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ), which rose 0.93% or 2.02 points to trade at 219.38 at the close. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) added 0.79% or 1.29 points to end at 163.92 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) was up 0.80% or 3.32 points to 420.16 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which lost 2.89% or 1.72 points to trade at 57.75 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 1.89% or 3.85 points to end at 199.75 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) shed 1.83% or 2.73 points to 146.06.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc (NYSE: TMO ) which rose 6.49% to 596.80, Invesco Plc (NYSE: IVZ ) which was up 5.46% to settle at 26.25 and Centene Corp (NYSE: CNC ) which gained 4.95% to close at 64.64.
The worst performers were International Flavors & Fragrances Inc (NYSE: IFF ) which was down 5.53% to 135.21 in late trade, Unum Group (NYSE: UNM ) which lost 6.04% to settle at 24.27 and Copart Inc (NASDAQ: CPRT ) which was down 5.46% to 143.95 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Corvus Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: CRVS ) which rose 135.40% to 5.320, Helbiz Inc (NASDAQ: HLBZ ) which was up 96.67% to settle at 17.70 and Priority Technology Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PRTH ) which gained 43.87% to close at 7.280.
The worst performers were Protagonist Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: PTGX ) which was down 61.98% to 17.54 in late trade, Tcr2 Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: TCRR ) which lost 36.39% to settle at 10.00 and Eliem Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ELYM ) which was down 22.25% to 18.69 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 2040 to 1153 and 131 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1871 rose and 1680 declined, while 144 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 11.34% to 20.81.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.23% or 4.05 to $1752.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 0.85% or 0.62 to hit $71.94 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract fell 0.48% or 0.36 to trade at $75.31 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.31% to 1.1728, while USD/JPY rose 0.25% to 109.97.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.32% at 93.213.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.