The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 1.93% or 1.19 points to trade at 62.73 at the close. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) added 0.65% or 0.47 points to end at 72.85 and Coca-Cola Co (NYSE: KO ) was up 0.40% or 0.20 points to 50.10 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 2.61% or 1.64 points to trade at 61.24 in late trade. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) declined 2.09% or 2.67 points to end at 125.12 and Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) shed 1.87% or 4.07 points to 213.47.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Fox Corp Class A (NASDAQ: FOXA ) which rose 9.08% to 37.95, Fox Corp Class B (NASDAQ: FOX ) which was up 7.97% to settle at 36.05 and Nielsen Holdings PLC (NYSE: NLSN ) which gained 7.56% to close at 24.89.
The worst performers were Target Corporation (NYSE: TGT ) which was down 6.77% to 173.49 in late trade, Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) which lost 5.10% to settle at 73.67 and KLA-Tencor Corporation (NASDAQ: KLAC ) which was down 4.96% to 309.82 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Communications Systems Inc (NASDAQ: JCS ) which rose 35.33% to 7.24, Amyris Inc (NASDAQ: AMRS ) which was up 27.39% to settle at 19.950 and Fortress Biotech Inc (NASDAQ: FBIO ) which gained 26.03% to close at 4.890.
The worst performers were Inseego Corp (NASDAQ: INSG ) which was down 29.61% to 10.58 in late trade, FibroGen Inc (NASDAQ: FGEN ) which lost 24.66% to settle at 38.07 and Luokung Technology Corp (NASDAQ: LKCO ) which was down 19.74% to 1.220 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1824 to 1390 and 68 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2437 fell and 883 advanced, while 61 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 3.21% to 24.10.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.81% or 13.95 to $1736.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April fell 1.93% or 1.17 to hit $59.47 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 0.21% or 0.13 to trade at $62.55 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.02% to 1.2087, while USD/JPY rose 0.01% to 106.69.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.28% at 90.782.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.