The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ), which rose 2.01% or 2.80 points to trade at 142.28 at the close. Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) added 0.56% or 0.31 points to end at 55.38 and Honeywell International Inc (NASDAQ: HON ) was up 0.37% or 0.87 points to 233.75 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which lost 2.74% or 5.83 points to trade at 206.73 in late trade. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) declined 2.21% or 5.13 points to end at 226.50 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) shed 1.30% or 2.31 points to 176.04.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Capri Holdings Ltd (NYSE: CPRI ) which rose 12.51% to 56.31, KLA-Tencor Corporation (NASDAQ: KLAC ) which was up 8.99% to settle at 348.15 and Fortive Corp (NYSE: FTV ) which gained 5.20% to close at 72.63.
The worst performers were Newell Brands Inc (NASDAQ: NWL ) which was down 9.07% to 24.75 in late trade, Amazon.com Inc (NASDAQ: AMZN ) which lost 7.50% to settle at 3329.98 and eBay Inc (NASDAQ: EBAY ) which was down 7.07% to 68.22 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Erytech Pharma SA ADR (NASDAQ: ERYP ) which rose 52.31% to 6.260, Allied Healthcare Products Inc (NASDAQ: AHPI ) which was up 38.38% to settle at 8.220 and Marin Software Inc (NASDAQ: MRIN ) which gained 28.41% to close at 8.29.
The worst performers were Cassava Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: SAVA ) which was down 32.69% to 69.56 in late trade, LAVA Therapeutics NV (NASDAQ: LVTX ) which lost 26.30% to settle at 5.52 and Xenetic Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: XBIO ) which was down 24.62% to 3.995 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1932 to 1233 and 125 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2156 fell and 1323 advanced, while 143 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 3.05% to 18.24.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 1.07% or 19.60 to $1811.60 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 0.18% or 0.13 to hit $73.75 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 0.04% or 0.03 to trade at $75.13 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.19% to 1.1863, while USD/JPY rose 0.24% to 109.72.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.29% at 92.142.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.