The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 3.51% or 1.89 points to trade at 55.72 at the close. Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) added 1.38% or 0.62 points to end at 45.44 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was up 0.88% or 1.58 points to 180.75 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 6.32% or 3.20 points to trade at 47.45 in late trade. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) declined 1.55% or 1.99 points to end at 126.71 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) shed 1.28% or 3.51 points to 270.46.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Fortinet Inc (NASDAQ: FTNT ) which rose 6.91% to 145.84, ABIOMED Inc (NASDAQ: ABMD ) which was up 4.11% to settle at 293.58 and Martin Marietta Materials Inc (NYSE: MLM ) which gained 4.09% to close at 276.61.
The worst performers were Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) which was down 6.32% to 47.45 in late trade, Macerich Company (NYSE: MAC ) which lost 5.66% to settle at 10.51 and FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX ) which was down 5.64% to 275.78 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Mereo BioPharma Group PLC ADR (NASDAQ: MREO ) which rose 62.44% to 3.590, VistaGen Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: VTGN ) which was up 50.16% to settle at 1.3900 and Cyren Ltd (NASDAQ: CYRN ) which gained 45.03% to close at 1.450.
The worst performers were Mingzhu Logistics Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: YGMZ ) which was down 37.09% to 11.01 in late trade, Mesoblast Ltd (NASDAQ: MESO ) which lost 31.69% to settle at 9.27 and Frequency Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: FREQ ) which was down 20.63% to 31.51 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1856 to 1241 and 78 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1623 fell and 1407 advanced, while 61 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.64% to 21.57.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.24% or 4.50 to $1885.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 1.49% or 0.72 to hit $49.08 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 1.51% or 0.78 to trade at $52.28 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.12% to 1.2251, while USD/JPY rose 0.22% to 103.33.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.18% at 89.907.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.