The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which rose 2.11% or 1.31 points to trade at 63.26 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 2.08% or 3.45 points to end at 169.01 and Coca-Cola Co (NYSE: KO ) was up 1.18% or 0.75 points to 64.56 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ), which lost 2.00% or 1.06 points to trade at 51.82 in late trade. Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) declined 1.56% or 3.35 points to end at 211.40 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) shed 1.15% or 1.00 points to 85.63.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO ) which rose 4.16% to 26.27, Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE: DVN ) which was up 3.71% to settle at 62.26 and Darden Restaurants Inc (NYSE: DRI ) which gained 3.16% to close at 130.54.
The worst performers were CarMax Inc (NYSE: KMX ) which was down 9.54% to 93.33 in late trade, Catalent Inc (NYSE: CTLT ) which lost 6.53% to settle at 100.06 and Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) which was down 5.38% to 44.48 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Polarityte Inc (NASDAQ: PTE ) which rose 82.97% to 0.38, Histogen Inc (NASDAQ: HSTO ) which was up 67.78% to settle at 0.42 and Lixte Biotechnology Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: LIXT ) which gained 67.27% to close at 1.84.
The worst performers were Hoth Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: HOTH ) which was down 31.43% to 0.72 in late trade, Altamira Therapeutics Ltd (NASDAQ: CYTO ) which lost 31.33% to settle at 1.14 and Athersys Inc (NASDAQ: ATHX ) which was down 31.27% to 0.59 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1634 to 1566 and 149 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2111 fell and 1696 advanced, while 261 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.45% to 24.26.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was up 0.96% or 18.80 to $1,967.00 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 6.82% or 6.43 to hit $100.72 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract rose 6.35% or 6.25 to trade at $104.73 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.51% to 1.08, while USD/JPY fell 0.01% to 125.33.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.38% at 100.31.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.