The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which rose 0.68% or 1.06 points to trade at 155.93 at the close. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) added 0.44% or 0.76 points to end at 172.31 and International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) was up 0.42% or 0.56 points to 133.91 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ), which lost 0.86% or 1.42 points to trade at 162.77 in late trade. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) declined 0.77% or 2.63 points to end at 339.32 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) shed 0.76% or 1.29 points to 167.49.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Penn National Gaming Inc (NASDAQ: PENN ) which rose 4.54% to 51.30, Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) which was up 3.98% to settle at 44.46 and ViacomCBS Inc (NASDAQ: VIAC ) which gained 3.77% to close at 31.12.
The worst performers were Biogen Inc (NASDAQ: BIIB ) which was down 7.09% to 240.00 in late trade, APA Corporation (NASDAQ: APA ) which lost 3.05% to settle at 27.06 and CF Industries Holdings Inc (NYSE: CF ) which was down 2.55% to 71.88 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Kiora Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: KPRX ) which rose 93.18% to 1.700, Supercom Lt (NASDAQ: SPCB ) which was up 40.10% to settle at 0.6111 and Inspira Technologies Oxy BHN Ltd (NASDAQ: IINN ) which gained 27.47% to close at 4.78.
The worst performers were Oncology Institute Inc (NASDAQ: TOI ) which was down 16.07% to 9.09 in late trade, Biofrontera Inc (NASDAQ: BFRI ) which lost 13.93% to settle at 7.54 and Medavail Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: MDVL ) which was down 11.69% to 1.36 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1806 to 1461 and 124 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2326 rose and 1500 declined, while 195 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.24% to 17.33.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.54% or 9.70 to $1815.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February fell 0.14% or 0.11 to hit $76.45 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 0.06% or 0.05 to trade at $79.06 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1325, while USD/JPY rose 0.01% to 115.07.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.05% at 95.975.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.