The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which rose 6.25% or 28.26 points to trade at 480.32 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 4.19% or 6.21 points to end at 154.59 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) was up 4.03% or 3.41 points to 88.03 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which lost 1.11% or 1.05 points to trade at 93.29 in late trade. Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) declined 0.57% or 1.53 points to end at 269.20 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) shed 0.04% or 0.05 points to 136.75.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA ) which rose 9.35% to 711.11, Diamondback Energy Inc (NASDAQ: FANG ) which was up 8.17% to settle at 132.28 and Pioneer Natural Resources Co (NYSE: PXD ) which gained 7.12% to close at 237.55.
The worst performers were DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc (NYSE: DVA ) which was down 15.01% to 76.05 in late trade, Bath & Body Works Inc. (NYSE: BBWI ) which lost 9.45% to settle at 30.36 and Meta Platforms Inc (NASDAQ: META ) which was down 4.09% to 157.05 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Valneva SE ADR (NASDAQ: VALN ) which rose 93.14% to 26.48, G Medical Innovations Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: GMVD ) which was up 45.45% to settle at 0.96 and Clovis Oncology Inc (NASDAQ: CLVS ) which gained 38.98% to close at 1.64.
The worst performers were Blue Hat Interactive Entertainment (NASDAQ: BHAT ) which was down 46.46% to 0.62 in late trade, 9 Meters Biopharma Inc (NASDAQ: NMTR ) which lost 43.59% to settle at 0.29 and ACADIA Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: ACAD ) which was down 33.32% to 13.01 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2344 to 872 and 107 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2681 rose and 1194 declined, while 199 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.02% to 30.19.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.27% or 4.95 to $1,835.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 1.73% or 1.87 to hit $109.86 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.74% or 0.85 to trade at $114.98 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.19% to 1.05, while USD/JPY rose 1.13% to 136.60.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.03% at 104.23.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.