The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 4.83% or 6.31 points to trade at 136.88 at the close. The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) added 3.77% or 4.31 points to end at 118.55 and Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) was up 3.45% or 2.95 points to 88.35 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ), which added 0.06% or 0.02 points to trade at 35.23 in late trade. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) added 0.31% or 0.30 points to end at 96.76 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) gained 0.57% or 0.56 points to 98.21.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Align Technology Inc (NASDAQ: ALGN ) which rose 10.87% to 299.62, Noble Energy Inc (NASDAQ: NBL ) which was up 10.73% to settle at 9.60 and Hanesbrands Inc (NYSE: HBI ) which gained 9.51% to close at 12.55.
The worst performers were Ross Stores Inc (NASDAQ: ROST ) which was down 5.48% to 80.17 in late trade, Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC ) which lost 4.57% to settle at 24.25 and Intuit Inc (NASDAQ: INTU ) which was down 4.12% to 285.37 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Perceptron Inc (NASDAQ: PRCP ) which rose 111.73% to 6.50, Rigel Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: RIGL ) which was up 90.97% to settle at 4.125 and INmune Bio Inc (NASDAQ: INMB ) which gained 77.97% to close at 15.75.
The worst performers were Equillium Inc (NASDAQ: EQ ) which was down 47.25% to 13.98 in late trade, WiMi Hologram Cloud Inc (NASDAQ: WIMI ) which lost 28.90% to settle at 17.59 and Dolphin Entertainment Inc (NASDAQ: DLPN ) which was down 24.31% to 1.0900 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1923 to 960 and 51 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1651 rose and 1056 declined, while 52 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 8.29% to 29.52.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.06% or 1.15 to $1812.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 0.87% or 0.35 to hit $40.45 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 0.16% or 0.07 to trade at $43.09 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.00% to 1.1396, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 107.25.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.24% at 96.175.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.