The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which rose 5.77% or 11.08 points to trade at 203.16 at the close. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) added 5.37% or 8.60 points to end at 168.65 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) was up 4.74% or 5.74 points to 126.95 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which lost 2.50% or 4.26 points to trade at 166.27 in late trade. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) declined 0.32% or 0.17 points to end at 53.08 and McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) shed 0.14% or 0.32 points to 222.47.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Match Group Inc (NASDAQ: MTCH ) which rose 12.81% to 98.93, Tapestry Inc (NYSE: TPR ) which was up 10.64% to settle at 35.88 and Caesars Entertainment Corporation (NASDAQ: CZR ) which gained 10.46% to close at 77.59.
The worst performers were Phillips 66 (NYSE: PSX ) which was down 5.88% to 79.35 in late trade, Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) which lost 5.68% to settle at 82.79 and Schlumberger NV (NYSE: SLB ) which was down 5.59% to 42.56 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Direct Digital Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: DRCT ) which rose 107.50% to 2.49, Revelation Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: REVB ) which was up 83.82% to settle at 1.70 and Sentage Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: SNTG ) which gained 47.27% to close at 1.62.
The worst performers were Hycroft Mining Holding Corporation (NASDAQ: HYMC ) which was down 37.00% to 0.63 in late trade, Natera Inc (NASDAQ: NTRA ) which lost 32.79% to settle at 36.80 and Cyren Ltd (NASDAQ: CYRN ) which was down 31.89% to 7.09 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2428 to 817 and 124 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 3103 rose and 716 declined, while 227 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 7.63% to 32.45.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 2.31% or 47.15 to $1,996.15 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April fell 11.07% or 13.69 to hit $110.01 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract fell 0.24% or 0.27 to trade at $112.06 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.02% to 1.11, while USD/JPY rose 0.03% to 115.85.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 1.14% at 97.95.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.