U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 1.92%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Industrials , Consumer Services and Financials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 1.92%, while the S&P 500 index added 1.64%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 1.74%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which rose 4.13% or 7.85 points to trade at 198.05 at the close. Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) added 3.91% or 1.40 points to end at 37.19 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was up 3.30% or 4.91 points to 153.51 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which lost 0.87% or 0.63 points to trade at 71.52 in late trade. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) declined 0.56% or 0.77 points to end at 137.92 and Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) shed 0.18% or 0.40 points to 219.81.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Arista Networks (NYSE: ANET ) which rose 15.32% to 249.24, Gartner Inc (NYSE: IT ) which was up 12.15% to settle at 140.21 and Nordstrom Inc (NYSE: JWN ) which gained 10.43% to close at 13.45.
The worst performers were Mosaic Co (NYSE: MOS ) which was down 13.45% to 16.93 in late trade, Leggett & Platt Incorporated (NYSE: LEG ) which lost 5.19% to settle at 41.26 and PayPal Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PYPL ) which was down 4.31% to 179.66 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Alaska Communications Systems (NASDAQ: ALSK ) which rose 59.69% to 3.050, Aptevo Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: APVO ) which was up 52.86% to settle at 9.6300 and Beasley Broadcast Group Inc (NASDAQ: BBGI ) which gained 35.89% to close at 1.69.
The worst performers were ATIF Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: ATIF ) which was down 41.18% to 0.770 in late trade, SolarEdge Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: SEDG ) which lost 23.93% to settle at 203.65 and OneSpan Inc (NASDAQ: OSPN ) which was down 18.79% to 18.28 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2389 to 512 and 61 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2232 rose and 539 declined, while 53 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.79% to 35.35.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.82% or 15.45 to $1907.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December rose 2.55% or 0.94 to hit $37.75 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract rose 2.08% or 0.81 to trade at $39.78 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.48% to 1.1696, while USD/JPY fell 0.11% to 104.59.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.56% at 93.618.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or