The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 7.54% or 14.19 points to trade at 202.38 at the close. American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) added 4.47% or 6.71 points to end at 156.77 and Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) was up 4.28% or 8.13 points to 198.29 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which lost 1.22% or 1.67 points to trade at 135.47 in late trade. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) declined 0.74% or 0.55 points to end at 73.89 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) shed 0.63% or 0.99 points to 157.09.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Kroger Company (NYSE: KR ) which rose 11.04% to 44.65, Delta Air Lines Inc (NYSE: DAL ) which was up 9.28% to settle at 36.64 and Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which gained 9.22% to close at 17.89.
The worst performers were Lam Research Corp (NASDAQ: LRCX ) which was down 4.62% to 661.52 in late trade, PVH Corp (NYSE: PVH ) which lost 4.11% to settle at 100.77 and Applied Materials Inc (NASDAQ: AMAT ) which was down 3.42% to 146.49 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Ardelyx Inc (NASDAQ: ARDX ) which rose 38.21% to 1.700, Jowell Global Ltd. (NASDAQ: JWEL ) which was up 25.56% to settle at 13.360 and Information Analysis Inc (NASDAQ: IAIC ) which gained 23.71% to close at 3.34.
The worst performers were Tantech Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: TANH ) which was down 57.00% to 0.6450 in late trade, Kirklands Inc (NASDAQ: KIRK ) which lost 24.78% to settle at 15.48 and 180 Life Sciences Corp (NASDAQ: ATNF ) which was down 23.56% to 3.86 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2427 to 839 and 120 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2450 rose and 1294 declined, while 165 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 10.19% to 27.95.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.83% or 14.75 to $1769.55 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in January rose 2.82% or 1.85 to hit $67.42 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract fell 0.01% or 0.01 to trade at $70.41 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1301, while USD/JPY rose 0.04% to 113.19.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.10% at 96.120.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.