The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which rose 5.35% or 9.78 points to trade at 192.61 at the close. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) added 4.38% or 2.05 points to end at 48.87 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was up 3.62% or 2.07 points to 59.20 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ), which lost 0.23% or 0.49 points to trade at 208.48 in late trade. Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) added 0.13% or 0.17 points to end at 136.16 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) gained 0.31% or 0.48 points to 153.79.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were EPAM Systems Inc (NYSE: EPAM ) which rose 16.08% to 245.17, Hewlett Packard Enterprise Co (NYSE: HPE ) which was up 10.25% to settle at 16.99 and Las Vegas Sands Corp (NYSE: LVS ) which gained 10.17% to close at 44.40.
The worst performers were Charter Communications Inc (NASDAQ: CHTR ) which was down 3.99% to 570.99 in late trade, Enphase Energy Inc (NASDAQ: ENPH ) which lost 3.93% to settle at 163.89 and Dentsply Sirona Inc (NASDAQ: XRAY ) which was down 3.46% to 52.48 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Ecmoho Ltd (NASDAQ: MOHO ) which rose 56.65% to 0.37, Imperial Petroleum Inc (NASDAQ: IMPP ) which was up 39.19% to settle at 2.06 and Regulus Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: RGLS ) which gained 35.56% to close at 0.31.
The worst performers were SAB Biotherapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: SABS ) which was down 39.87% to 2.76 in late trade, Karyopharm Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: KPTI ) which lost 39.75% to settle at 6.26 and Puhui Wealth Investment Management Co Ltd (NASDAQ: PHCF ) which was down 36.08% to 0.84 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2431 to 796 and 119 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2597 rose and 1210 declined, while 230 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 7.74% to 30.74.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 0.67% or 13.00 to $1,930.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 7.71% or 7.97 to hit $111.38 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 0.45% or 0.52 to trade at $115.08 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.02% to 1.11, while USD/JPY rose 0.03% to 115.54.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.03% at 97.37.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.