The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ), which rose 10.60% or 21.85 points to trade at 228.00 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 6.98% or 11.11 points to end at 170.33 and Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) was up 4.41% or 9.39 points to 222.13 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ), which lost 5.19% or 11.01 points to trade at 201.16 in late trade. 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) declined 4.15% or 7.06 points to end at 163.10 and Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) shed 3.52% or 4.76 points to 130.61.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) which rose 10.60% to 228.00, Mastercard Inc (NYSE: MA ) which was up 9.12% to settle at 382.51 and DexCom Inc (NASDAQ: DXCM ) which gained 7.79% to close at 413.39.
The worst performers were Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC ) which was down 7.32% to 49.90 in late trade, Synchrony Financial (NYSE: SYF ) which lost 6.75% to settle at 41.42 and VF Corporation (NYSE: VFC ) which was down 6.52% to 62.96 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Imperial Petroleum Inc (NASDAQ: IMPP ) which rose 87.93% to 2.18, Yoshitsu Co Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: TKLF ) which was up 33.33% to settle at 3.40 and Mawson Infrastructure Group Inc (NASDAQ: MIGI ) which gained 24.13% to close at 4.63.
The worst performers were Volcon Inc (NASDAQ: VLCN ) which was down 21.16% to 2.98 in late trade, InVivo Therapeutics Holdings Corp (NASDAQ: NVIV ) which lost 20.45% to settle at 0.3700 and DouYu International Holdings (NASDAQ: DOYU ) which was down 19.05% to 2.040 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2231 to 1024 and 134 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2653 rose and 1192 declined, while 211 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 9.28% to 27.66.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was down 0.17% or 3.00 to $1790.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March rose 0.81% or 0.70 to hit $87.31 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract rose 0.94% or 0.83 to trade at $89.00 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.06% to 1.1150, while USD/JPY fell 0.10% to 115.22.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.02% at 97.218.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.