The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 4.74% or 5.11 points to trade at 113.01 at the close. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) added 4.05% or 6.49 points to end at 166.91 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 3.58% or 5.48 points to 158.75 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ), which lost 0.57% or 1.02 points to trade at 176.85 in late trade. Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) declined 0.54% or 1.32 points to end at 243.40 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) shed 0.46% or 0.42 points to 90.41.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Las Vegas Sands Corp (NYSE: LVS ) which rose 15.06% to 34.68, Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which was up 13.17% to settle at 66.27 and Enphase Energy Inc (NASDAQ: ENPH ) which gained 11.96% to close at 157.79.
The worst performers were Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) which was down 9.67% to 40.72 in late trade, DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc (NYSE: DVA ) which lost 2.91% to settle at 100.05 and WestRock Co (NYSE: WRK ) which was down 2.63% to 46.21 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were ShiftPixy Inc (NASDAQ: PIXY ) which rose 154.87% to 0.51, Polarityte Inc (NASDAQ: PTE ) which was up 44.51% to settle at 0.21 and Veru Inc (NASDAQ: VERU ) which gained 43.96% to close at 13.00.
The worst performers were LiqTech International Inc (NASDAQ: LIQT ) which was down 45.36% to 0.50 in late trade, Brilliant Earth Group Inc (NASDAQ: BRLT ) which lost 33.63% to settle at 4.48 and Tenon Medical Inc (NASDAQ: TNON ) which was down 26.41% to 6.52 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2607 to 643 and 97 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2983 rose and 942 declined, while 169 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 9.13% to 28.87.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.83% or 15.13 to $1,809.47 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 4.09% or 4.34 to hit $110.47 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 3.86% or 4.15 to trade at $111.60 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.24% to 1.04, while USD/JPY rose 0.79% to 129.34.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.27% at 104.61.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.