U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 1.45%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Consumer Services , Consumer Goods and Technology sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average added 1.45%, while the S&P 500 index climbed 1.61%, and the NASDAQ Composite index added 2.15%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 4.12% or 5.42 points to trade at 137.05 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 3.41% or 6.13 points to end at 185.98 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) was up 3.23% or 4.13 points to 131.90 in late trade.
Biggest losers included The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ), which lost 4.89% or 9.06 points to trade at 176.16 in late trade. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) declined 1.18% or 2.06 points to end at 171.83 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) shed 0.33% or 0.28 points to 85.79.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Signature Bank (NASDAQ: SBNY ) which rose 8.10% to 288.20, ABIOMED Inc (NASDAQ: ABMD ) which was up 7.27% to settle at 323.42 and Generac Holdlings Inc (NYSE: GNRC ) which gained 7.19% to close at 267.20.
The worst performers were Dentsply Sirona Inc (NASDAQ: XRAY ) which was down 13.38% to 42.20 in late trade, The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) which lost 4.89% to settle at 176.16 and Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) which was down 4.73% to 46.16 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Checkmate Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: CMPI ) which rose 329.46% to 10.35, Sono Group NV (NASDAQ: SEV ) which was up 65.22% to settle at 7.60 and Toughbuilt Industries Inc (NASDAQ: TBLT ) which gained 37.01% to close at 0.20.
The worst performers were Lyra Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: LYRA ) which was down 20.92% to 5.48 in late trade, Mawson Infrastructure Group Inc (NASDAQ: MIGI ) which lost 18.71% to settle at 4.04 and Arqit Quantum Inc (NASDAQ: ARQQ ) which was down 16.33% to 10.45 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2248 to 957 and 114 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2836 rose and 951 declined, while 220 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.61% to 21.37.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 1.77% or 35.20 to $1,951.20 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June fell 5.04% or 5.42 to hit $102.19 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 5.18% or 5.86 to trade at $107.30 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.09% to 1.08, while USD/JPY rose 1.51% to 128.88.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.21% at 100.97.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or