The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which rose 8.37% or 6.29 points to trade at 81.40 at the close. Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) added 4.04% or 6.84 points to end at 176.01 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 3.83% or 6.41 points to 173.94 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ), which lost 1.67% or 2.33 points to trade at 137.05 in late trade. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) declined 0.64% or 1.03 points to end at 160.47 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) shed 0.53% or 0.25 points to 46.80.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were CF Industries Holdings Inc (NYSE: CF ) which rose 9.53% to 61.14, TripAdvisor Inc (NASDAQ: TRIP ) which was up 9.19% to settle at 36.96 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) which gained 8.37% to close at 81.40.
The worst performers were Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: REGN ) which was down 5.68% to 570.79 in late trade, Kroger Company (NYSE: KR ) which lost 3.19% to settle at 39.14 and Illumina Inc (NASDAQ: ILMN ) which was down 2.66% to 394.84 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Biomerica Inc (NASDAQ: BMRA ) which rose 38.00% to 6.210, Atea Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: AVIR ) which was up 19.51% to settle at 41.90 and Vicinity Motor Corp (NASDAQ: VEV ) which gained 19.43% to close at 5.90.
The worst performers were Omeros Corporation (NASDAQ: OMER ) which was down 38.07% to 8.54 in late trade, Adagio Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ADGI ) which lost 33.71% to settle at 28.00 and Neurobo Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: NRBO ) which was down 32.80% to 2.500 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2302 to 916 and 108 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2250 rose and 1335 declined, while 156 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 8.60% to 21.15.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was up 0.17% or 2.90 to $1759.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 0.92% or 0.69 to hit $75.72 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract rose 1.06% or 0.83 to trade at $79.14 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.13% to 1.1596, while USD/JPY fell 0.22% to 111.03.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.20% at 94.055.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.