U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 1.35%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Monday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Basic Materials and Financials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 1.35% to hit a new 6-month high, while the S&P 500 index climbed 1.00%, and the NASDAQ Composite index gained 0.60%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 6.43% or 10.77 points to trade at 178.27 at the close. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) added 5.80% or 2.53 points to end at 46.12 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 3.31% or 3.18 points to 99.33 in late trade.
Biggest losers included UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which lost 1.69% or 5.30 points to trade at 308.84 in late trade. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) declined 0.28% or 0.14 points to end at 49.14 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) shed 0.23% or 0.30 points to 131.33.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL ) which rose 10.53% to 13.44, Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which was up 10.17% to settle at 16.14 and United Airlines Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: UAL ) which gained 9.93% to close at 36.32.
The worst performers were Centene Corp (NYSE: CNC ) which was down 3.51% to 60.28 in late trade, Humana Inc (NYSE: HUM ) which lost 3.03% to settle at 406.08 and Amcor (NYSE: AMCR ) which was down 2.16% to 10.87 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Cancer Genetics Inc (NASDAQ: CGIX ) which rose 115.52% to 6.25, Chanticleer Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: SONN ) which was up 48.29% to settle at 3.9000 and Borqs Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: BRQS ) which gained 39.46% to close at 1.230.
The worst performers were Onconova Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ONTX ) which was down 66.05% to 0.3429 in late trade, Odonate Therapeutics (NASDAQ: ODT ) which lost 45.35% to settle at 18.33 and Hexindai Inc (NASDAQ: HX ) which was down 25.97% to 1.9100 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2138 to 934 and 72 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1496 rose and 1318 declined, while 58 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.75% to 22.37.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.57% or 11.15 to $1935.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October rose 0.12% or 0.05 to hit $42.39 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 0.04% or 0.02 to trade at $45.53 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1789, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 105.99.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.07% at 93.305.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or