The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 7.54% or 9.85 points to trade at 140.50 at the close. Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) added 7.00% or 12.33 points to end at 188.40 and Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) was up 3.99% or 4.73 points to 123.41 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ), which lost 2.03% or 5.14 points to trade at 248.28 in late trade. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) declined 1.25% or 1.14 points to end at 90.00 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) shed 0.32% or 0.56 points to 177.15.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Generac Holdlings Inc (NYSE: GNRC ) which rose 10.29% to 268.95, SolarEdge Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: SEDG ) which was up 10.28% to settle at 300.49 and DexCom Inc (NASDAQ: DXCM ) which gained 9.86% to close at 311.83.
The worst performers were Hormel Foods Corporation (NYSE: HRL ) which was down 5.22% to 45.76 in late trade, Hewlett Packard Enterprise Co (NYSE: HPE ) which lost 5.20% to settle at 14.96 and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: REGN ) which was down 4.28% to 630.70 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were NRX Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: NRXP ) which rose 47.48% to 0.84, Repare Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: RPTX ) which was up 44.80% to settle at 12.67 and Talkspace Inc (NASDAQ: TALK ) which gained 34.35% to close at 1.76.
The worst performers were Aeglea Bio Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: AGLE ) which was down 51.33% to 0.73 in late trade, Immunic Inc (NASDAQ: IMUX ) which lost 46.78% to settle at 3.14 and Zosano Pharma Corp (NASDAQ: ZSAN ) which was down 43.18% to 1.00 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2488 to 699 and 106 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2870 rose and 924 declined, while 193 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.78% to 24.72 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 1.29% or 23.85 to $1,872.55 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 1.83% or 2.11 to hit $117.37 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 1.56% or 1.81 to trade at $118.10 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.95% to 1.07, while USD/JPY fell 0.20% to 129.85.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.73% at 101.78.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.