U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 1.20%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Monday, as gains in the Oil & Gas , Basic Materials and Telecoms sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 1.20%, while the S&P 500 index gained 0.89%, and the NASDAQ Composite index added 0.39%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Honeywell International Inc (NASDAQ: HON ), which rose 2.84% or 5.24 points to trade at 189.88 at the close. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) added 2.47% or 5.30 points to end at 220.31 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was up 2.48% or 1.24 points to 51.26 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ), which lost 2.58% or 7.20 points to trade at 272.23 in late trade. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) declined 2.18% or 0.65 points to end at 29.16 and Salesforce Inc (NYSE: CRM ) gained 0.22% or 0.40 points to 185.25.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were NRG Energy Inc (NYSE: NRG ) which rose 6.83% to 33.63, Fleetcor Technologies Inc (NYSE: FLT ) which was up 6.35% to settle at 199.08 and Assurant Inc (NYSE: AIZ ) which gained 5.98% to close at 111.19.
The worst performers were First Republic Bank (NYSE: FRC ) which was down 47.11% to 12.18 in late trade, Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which lost 2.89% to settle at 9.42 and Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) which was down 2.58% to 272.23 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Loyalty Ventures Inc (NASDAQ: LYLT ) which rose 153.78% to 0.22, Lifecore Biomedical Inc (NASDAQ: LFCR ) which was up 85.63% to settle at 3.10 and GeneDx Holdings Corp (NASDAQ: WGS ) which gained 41.30% to close at 0.51.
The worst performers were Aziyo Biologics Inc (NASDAQ: AZYO ) which was down 62.82% to 1.45 in late trade, Pear Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: PEAR ) which lost 46.27% to settle at 0.21 and Acrivon Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: ACRV ) which was down 41.95% to 11.61 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1903 to 1130 and 88 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1816 fell and 1804 advanced, while 151 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 5.33% to 24.15.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 0.47% or 9.30 to $1,982.80 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May rose 1.31% or 0.88 to hit $67.81 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 0.09% or 0.07 to trade at $73.80 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.03% to 1.07, while USD/JPY fell 0.01% to 131.29.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.44% at 102.90.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or