U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.97%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Tuesday, as gains in the Technology , Consumer Services and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.97% to hit a new 1-month high, while the S&P 500 index added 1.23%, and the NASDAQ Composite index added 1.84%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ), which rose 3.33% or 7.35 points to trade at 228.12 at the close. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) added 3.21% or 4.33 points to end at 139.14 and Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) was up 3.00% or 5.64 points to 193.80 in late trade.
Biggest losers included The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ), which lost 1.58% or 2.95 points to trade at 183.81 in late trade. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) declined 1.22% or 2.03 points to end at 164.32 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) shed 0.48% or 2.47 points to 510.73.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Nielsen Holdings PLC (NYSE: NLSN ) which rose 20.31% to 26.72, EPAM Systems Inc (NYSE: EPAM ) which was up 11.58% to settle at 307.05 and Penn National Gaming Inc (NASDAQ: PENN ) which gained 6.48% to close at 44.35.
The worst performers were Mosaic Co (NYSE: MOS ) which was down 5.18% to 64.45 in late trade, CF Industries Holdings Inc (NYSE: CF ) which lost 5.08% to settle at 99.78 and Archer-Daniels-Midland Company (NYSE: ADM ) which was down 4.88% to 87.84 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were IGM Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: IGMS ) which rose 96.73% to 29.49, PhaseBio Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: PHAS ) which was up 46.09% to settle at 1.68 and China SXT Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SXTC ) which gained 45.40% to close at 0.29.
The worst performers were NeoGenomics Inc (NASDAQ: NEO ) which was down 29.79% to 12.49 in late trade, Aveanna Healthcare Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: AVAH ) which lost 26.72% to settle at 3.95 and Stryve Foods Inc (NASDAQ: SNAX ) which was down 24.81% to 1.50 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2636 to 620 and 122 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2965 rose and 960 declined, while 205 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.72% to 18.90 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 1.12% or 21.70 to $1,918.10 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in May fell 0.93% or 0.99 to hit $104.97 a barrel, while the June Brent oil contract fell 0.82% or 0.90 to trade at $108.59 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.99% to 1.11, while USD/JPY fell 0.83% to 122.89.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.59% at 98.47.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or