The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which rose 3.12% or 11.66 points to trade at 385.81 at the close. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) added 2.00% or 5.65 points to end at 288.76 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) was up 1.66% or 6.42 points to 393.43 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which lost 1.81% or 1.50 points to trade at 81.60 in late trade. International Business Machines (NYSE: IBM ) declined 0.67% or 0.96 points to end at 143.15 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) shed 0.33% or 0.63 points to 192.50.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were ABIOMED Inc (NASDAQ: ABMD ) which rose 5.93% to 332.47, Invesco Plc (NYSE: IVZ ) which was up 5.27% to settle at 25.37 and Netflix Inc (NASDAQ: NFLX ) which gained 5.21% to close at 634.81.
The worst performers were Nektar Therapeutics (NASDAQ: NKTR ) which was down 5.36% to 17.14 in late trade, Ventas Inc (NYSE: VTR ) which lost 3.71% to settle at 54.20 and Equinix Inc (NASDAQ: EQIX ) which was down 3.25% to 760.07 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Bit Digital Inc (NASDAQ: BTBT ) which rose 36.36% to 10.350, Marine Petroleum Trust (NASDAQ: MARPS ) which was up 22.11% to settle at 6.130 and Jupiter Wellness Inc (NASDAQ: JUPW ) which gained 22.05% to close at 1.550.
The worst performers were DatChat Inc (NASDAQ: DATS ) which was down 23.87% to 8.90 in late trade, Mediaco Holding Inc (NASDAQ: MDIA ) which lost 23.23% to settle at 8.130 and Salem Media Group Inc (NASDAQ: SALM ) which was down 22.15% to 3.480 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1900 to 1305 and 129 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2104 rose and 1454 declined, while 173 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 7.23% to 21.30.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.40% or 7.05 to $1760.55 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 2.00% or 1.55 to hit $79.17 a barrel, while the December Brent oil contract rose 1.87% or 1.52 to trade at $82.78 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.22% to 1.1595, while USD/JPY rose 0.57% to 111.50.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.23% at 93.995.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.