The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 4.43% or 7.98 points to trade at 187.94 at the close. Raytheon Technologies Corp (NYSE: RTX ) added 4.08% or 2.47 points to end at 62.94 and American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ) was up 2.66% or 2.52 points to 97.36 in late trade.
Biggest losers included UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which lost 1.44% or 4.45 points to trade at 304.07 in late trade. Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) declined 0.69% or 0.38 points to end at 55.06 and Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ) shed 0.47% or 0.59 points to 124.50.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (NYSE: RCL ) which rose 21.20% to 58.36, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which was up 20.68% to settle at 18.50 and Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which gained 16.22% to close at 17.48.
The worst performers were Ball Corporation (NYSE: BLL ) which was down 5.56% to 69.52 in late trade, Bank of New York Mellon (NYSE: BK ) which lost 5.41% to settle at 36.86 and Fortinet Inc (NASDAQ: FTNT ) which was down 3.84% to 129.32 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Genetic Technologies Ltd (NASDAQ: GENE ) which rose 150.88% to 5.67, China Finance Online Co Limited (NASDAQ: JRJC ) which was up 93.30% to settle at 14.13 and CLPS Inc (NASDAQ: CLPS ) which gained 54.42% to close at 3.32.
The worst performers were Perceptron Inc (NASDAQ: PRCP ) which was down 27.08% to 4.74 in late trade, Endologix Inc (NASDAQ: ELGX ) which lost 23.88% to settle at 0.220 and Rigel Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: RIGL ) which was down 20.48% to 3.280 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2436 to 450 and 47 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2213 rose and 495 declined, while 52 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 5.96% to 27.76.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.02% or 0.45 to $1812.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 1.76% or 0.71 to hit $41.00 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract fell 0.02% or 0.01 to trade at $43.63 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.1412, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 106.94.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.22% at 95.995.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.