The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ), which rose 3.41% or 3.29 points to trade at 99.82 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 2.51% or 5.45 points to end at 222.60 and Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) was up 2.40% or 8.76 points to 373.52 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ), which lost 0.81% or 1.99 points to trade at 244.90 in late trade. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) declined 0.53% or 0.77 points to end at 145.38 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) shed 0.49% or 0.69 points to 141.18.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc (NYSE: CMG ) which rose 11.54% to 1756.07, Interpublic Group of Companies Inc (NYSE: IPG ) which was up 11.35% to settle at 34.82 and Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NYSE: NCLH ) which gained 10.14% to close at 26.08.
The worst performers were Harley-Davidson Inc (NYSE: HOG ) which was down 7.21% to 40.64 in late trade, Seagate Technology PLC (NASDAQ: STX ) which lost 3.35% to settle at 82.63 and Netflix Inc (NASDAQ: NFLX ) which was down 3.25% to 513.79 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Chembio Diagnostics Inc (NASDAQ: CEMI ) which rose 158.98% to 5.335, NeuroMetrix Inc (NASDAQ: NURO ) which was up 106.62% to settle at 20.745 and Aehr Test Systems (NASDAQ: AEHR ) which gained 37.33% to close at 8.020.
The worst performers were Orbital Energy Group Inc (NASDAQ: OEG ) which was down 20.17% to 3.720 in late trade, Staffing 360 Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: STAF ) which lost 19.90% to settle at 3.0600 and Neurobo Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: NRBO ) which was down 15.37% to 3.360 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2398 to 780 and 110 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2759 rose and 739 declined, while 117 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 9.22% to 17.91.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.42% or 7.55 to $1803.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 4.57% or 3.07 to hit $70.27 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 4.11% or 2.85 to trade at $72.20 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.13% to 1.1794, while USD/JPY rose 0.42% to 110.30.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.21% at 92.787.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.