U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.80%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Friday, as gains in the Technology , Consumer Services and Consumer Goods sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.80%, while the S&P 500 index climbed 1.17%, and the NASDAQ Composite index climbed 2.05%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which rose 3.96% or 8.33 points to trade at 218.74 at the close. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) added 2.98% or 3.80 points to end at 131.21 and Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) was up 2.65% or 5.65 points to 219.10 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ), which lost 2.39% or 1.25 points to trade at 51.11 in late trade. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) declined 1.11% or 1.97 points to end at 174.83 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) shed 0.67% or 0.42 points to 62.42.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Match Group Inc (NASDAQ: MTCH ) which rose 7.80% to 102.69, EPAM Systems Inc (NYSE: EPAM ) which was up 7.76% to settle at 294.38 and HP Inc (NYSE: HPQ ) which gained 7.55% to close at 37.09.
The worst performers were FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX ) which was down 3.97% to 218.93 in late trade, Cincinnati Financial Corporation (NASDAQ: CINF ) which lost 3.27% to settle at 127.94 and Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY ) which was down 3.05% to 56.24 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Connect Biopharma Holdings Ltd (NASDAQ: CNTB ) which rose 54.21% to 4.95, Rezolute Inc (NASDAQ: RZLT ) which was up 52.42% to settle at 4.10 and Redbox Entertainment Inc (NASDAQ: RDBX ) which gained 50.28% to close at 2.69.
The worst performers were Bt Brands Inc (NASDAQ: BTBD ) which was down 39.22% to 1.55 in late trade, Neptune Wellness Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: NEPT ) which lost 31.63% to settle at 0.21 and Nymox Pharmaceutical Corp (NASDAQ: NYMX ) which was down 28.57% to 1.35 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2099 to 1086 and 99 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2592 rose and 1223 declined, while 148 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 7.01% to 23.87 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was down 1.26% or 24.55 to $1,918.65 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in April rose 1.84% or 1.89 to hit $104.87 a barrel, while the May Brent oil contract rose 1.14% or 1.22 to trade at $107.86 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.37% to 1.10, while USD/JPY rose 0.46% to 119.14.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.25% at 98.22.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or