The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 1.96% or 2.56 points to trade at 133.27 at the close. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) added 1.95% or 2.97 points to end at 155.20 and UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) was up 1.76% or 6.95 points to 401.54 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which lost 4.40% or 3.39 points to trade at 73.70 in late trade. Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) declined 2.13% or 4.94 points to end at 227.36 and Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ) shed 1.06% or 2.52 points to 234.36.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Alliance Data Systems Corp (NYSE: ADS ) which rose 10.12% to 118.75, DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH ) which was up 8.34% to settle at 45.06 and Facebook Inc (NASDAQ: FB ) which gained 7.28% to close at 329.46.
The worst performers were eBay Inc (NASDAQ: EBAY ) which was down 10.03% to 56.07 in late trade, Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F ) which lost 9.45% to settle at 11.26 and Hologic Inc (NASDAQ: HOLX ) which was down 8.49% to 66.25 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were ShiftPixy Inc (NASDAQ: PIXY ) which rose 32.27% to 3.32, Ocular Therapeutix Inc (NASDAQ: OCUL ) which was up 22.81% to settle at 19.17 and Galera Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: GRTX ) which gained 22.69% to close at 8.11.
The worst performers were Adverum Biotechnologies Inc (NASDAQ: ADVM ) which was down 62.40% to 3.82 in late trade, Farmmi Inc (NASDAQ: FAMI ) which lost 54.99% to settle at 0.3560 and Cara Therapeutic (NASDAQ: CARA ) which was down 45.52% to 14.05 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1563 to 1438 and 94 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1815 fell and 1370 advanced, while 103 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 1.91% to 17.61.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.05% or 0.85 to $1773.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in June rose 1.72% or 1.10 to hit $64.96 a barrel, while the July Brent oil contract rose 1.83% or 1.22 to trade at $68.00 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.2124, while USD/JPY rose 0.27% to 108.89.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.02% at 90.608.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.