The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were American Express Company (NYSE: AXP ), which rose 3.14% or 4.88 points to trade at 160.51 at the close. Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ) added 2.23% or 2.66 points to end at 122.06 and Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) was up 1.96% or 5.65 points to 293.57 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Procter & Gamble Company (NYSE: PG ), which lost 1.64% or 2.42 points to trade at 145.21 in late trade. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) declined 0.98% or 1.78 points to end at 179.62 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) shed 0.94% or 0.89 points to 93.75.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Gap Inc (NYSE: GPS ) which rose 12.46% to 10.65, Best Buy Co Inc (NYSE: BBY ) which was up 8.97% to settle at 80.06 and Bath & Body Works Inc. (NYSE: BBWI ) which gained 8.71% to close at 39.30.
The worst performers were Agilent Technologies Inc (NYSE: A ) which was down 3.24% to 120.38 in late trade, Hologic Inc (NASDAQ: HOLX ) which lost 3.05% to settle at 76.00 and Waters Corporation (NYSE: WAT ) which was down 3.04% to 307.81 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Very Good Food Company Inc (NASDAQ: VGFC ) which rose 118.20% to 0.29, Genocea Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: GNCA ) which was up 51.07% to settle at 0.09 and 36Kr Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: KRKR ) which gained 42.47% to close at 1.04.
The worst performers were Verrica Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: VRCA ) which was down 63.85% to 2.01 in late trade, China Liberal Education Holdings (NASDAQ: CLEU ) which lost 38.80% to settle at 1.53 and Enochian Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: ENOB ) which was down 36.97% to 3.70 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2472 to 725 and 117 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2611 rose and 1177 declined, while 193 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.67% to 28.37.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for June delivery was down 0.72% or 13.35 to $1,852.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 0.91% or 1.00 to hit $110.77 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 0.66% or 0.73 to trade at $111.42 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.56% to 1.07, while USD/JPY rose 0.38% to 127.29.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.30% at 102.18.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.