The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 3.09% or 3.50 points to trade at 116.87 at the close. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) added 2.41% or 4.88 points to end at 207.42 and Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) was up 1.77% or 4.31 points to 247.50 in late trade.
Biggest losers included UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ), which lost 1.65% or 4.93 points to trade at 294.26 in late trade. Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ) declined 1.23% or 2.38 points to end at 191.62 and JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) shed 1.09% or 1.04 points to 94.27.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Twitter Inc (NYSE: TWTR ) which rose 7.09% to 42.73, Amazon.com Inc (NASDAQ: AMZN ) which was up 5.69% to settle at 3128.99 and Ralph Lauren Corp Class A (NYSE: RL ) which gained 5.44% to close at 75.04.
The worst performers were Citizens Financial Group Inc (NYSE: CFG ) which was down 5.11% to 24.51 in late trade, Zions Bancorporation (NASDAQ: ZION ) which lost 3.99% to settle at 28.62 and Anthem Inc (NYSE: ANTM ) which was down 3.99% to 247.44 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were NanoVibronix Inc (NASDAQ: NAOV ) which rose 103.46% to 1.200, Boxlight Corp Class A (NASDAQ: BOXL ) which was up 21.28% to settle at 1.710 and Davidstea Inc (NASDAQ: DTEA ) which gained 19.24% to close at 1.030.
The worst performers were Vaccinex Inc (NASDAQ: VCNX ) which was down 57.59% to 2.32 in late trade, Biosig Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: BSGM ) which lost 33.66% to settle at 5.40 and Adicet Bio Inc (NASDAQ: ACET ) which was down 24.52% to 10.175 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1714 to 1361 and 90 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1459 fell and 1381 advanced, while 92 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.31% to 26.86.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.33% or 6.30 to $1904.30 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in November rose 0.56% or 0.22 to hit $39.76 a barrel, while the November Brent oil contract rose 0.05% or 0.02 to trade at $41.73 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.02% to 1.1708, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 104.93.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.33% at 93.993.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.