The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ), which rose 1.42% or 2.09 points to trade at 148.91 at the close. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) added 1.33% or 1.35 points to end at 102.53 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was up 1.20% or 0.74 points to 62.61 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ), which lost 1.79% or 1.40 points to trade at 76.93 in late trade. Amgen Inc (NASDAQ: AMGN ) declined 0.75% or 1.82 points to end at 242.43 and Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ) shed 0.42% or 0.75 points to 178.35.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Align Technology Inc (NASDAQ: ALGN ) which rose 9.01% to 677.91, Xilinx Inc (NASDAQ: XLNX ) which was up 6.33% to settle at 147.31 and Yum! Brands Inc (NYSE: YUM ) which gained 6.31% to close at 130.35.
The worst performers were Citrix Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CTXS ) which was down 13.61% to 98.95 in late trade, PayPal Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: PYPL ) which lost 6.26% to settle at 283.08 and Equinix Inc (NASDAQ: EQIX ) which was down 6.00% to 786.14 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Xenetic Biosciences Inc (NASDAQ: XBIO ) which rose 64.80% to 5.290, Intec Pharma Ltd (NASDAQ: NTEC ) which was up 48.52% to settle at 13.590 and NanoVibronix Inc (NASDAQ: NAOV ) which gained 26.18% to close at 2.4100.
The worst performers were Atreca Inc (NASDAQ: BCEL ) which was down 40.32% to 4.900 in late trade, Forward Pharma A S (NASDAQ: FWP ) which lost 30.50% to settle at 9.960 and Cassava Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: SAVA ) which was down 23.89% to 102.98 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2192 to 966 and 128 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1826 rose and 1629 declined, while 175 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.33% to 17.70.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 1.57% or 28.20 to $1827.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in September rose 1.53% or 1.11 to hit $73.50 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract rose 1.50% or 1.11 to trade at $74.98 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.38% to 1.1887, while USD/JPY fell 0.39% to 109.47.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.44% at 91.907.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.