U.S. shares higher at close of trade; Dow Jones Industrial Average up 0.37%
Investing.com – U.S. equities were higher at the close on Thursday, as gains in the Consumer Services , Technology and Financials sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in NYSE, the Dow Jones Industrial Average added 0.37% to hit a new all time high, while the S&P 500 index climbed 0.51%, and the NASDAQ Composite index climbed 0.78%.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which rose 1.98% or 5.64 points to trade at 289.91 at the close. JPMorgan Chase & Co (NYSE: JPM ) added 1.06% or 1.46 points to end at 139.04 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) was up 0.94% or 0.55 points to 58.90 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 0.92% or 3.08 points to trade at 329.92 in late trade. Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) declined 0.11% or 0.10 points to end at 91.34 and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) shed 0.07% or 0.10 points to 145.83.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Amazon.com Inc (NASDAQ: AMZN ) which rose 4.45% to 1868.77, Macy’s Inc (NYSE: M ) which was up 2.61% to settle at 16.54 and Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) which gained 1.98% to close at 289.91.
The worst performers were Incyte Corporation (NASDAQ: INCY ) which was down 2.89% to 88.78 in late trade, Perrigo Company PLC (NYSE: PRGO ) which lost 1.91% to settle at 52.48 and NRG Energy Inc (NYSE: NRG ) which was down 1.65% to 39.23 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Mereo BioPharma Group PLC ADR (NASDAQ: MREO ) which rose 95.45% to 2.150, Oncolytics Biotech Inc (NASDAQ: ONCY ) which was up 54.10% to settle at 2.820 and Tetraphase Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: TTPH ) which gained 50.00% to close at 3.600.
The worst performers were Spring Bank Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SBPH ) which was down 66.76% to 1.20 in late trade, Spectrum Pharmaceuticals Inc (NASDAQ: SPPI ) which lost 60.00% to settle at 3.50 and GreenPro Capital Corp (NASDAQ: GRNQ ) which was down 23.18% to 0.560000 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1743 to 1035 and 105 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1357 rose and 1294 declined, while 71 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.16% to 12.65.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.74% or 11.10 to $1515.90 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 1.01% or 0.62 to hit $61.73 a barrel, while the February Brent oil contract rose 0.04% or 0.03 to trade at $67.94 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.00% to 1.1097, while USD/JPY fell 0.06% to 109.56.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.08% at 97.170.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or