The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ), which rose 2.69% or 1.10 points to trade at 41.98 at the close. Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) added 2.28% or 0.77 points to end at 34.51 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was up 2.06% or 0.84 points to 41.59 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which lost 0.73% or 0.83 points to trade at 112.18 in late trade. McDonald’s Corporation (NYSE: MCD ) declined 0.62% or 1.14 points to end at 183.52 and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT ) shed 0.40% or 0.48 points to 119.21.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Noble Energy Inc (NASDAQ: NBL ) which rose 7.79% to 9.55, Akamai Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: AKAM ) which was up 6.39% to settle at 113.12 and TechnipFMC PLC (NYSE: FTI ) which gained 5.35% to close at 7.28.
The worst performers were DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH ) which was down 4.52% to 33.06 in late trade, Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL ) which lost 2.93% to settle at 15.88 and Macerich Company (NYSE: MAC ) which was down 2.87% to 8.45 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Genius Brands International Inc (NASDAQ: GNUS ) which rose 53.68% to 3.5500, Francescas Holdings (NASDAQ: FRAN ) which was up 42.65% to settle at 4.95 and Interpace Diagnostics Group Inc (NASDAQ: IDXG ) which gained 39.23% to close at 6.1400.
The worst performers were Myos Rens Technology Inc (NASDAQ: MYOS ) which was down 30.33% to 1.700 in late trade, AEterna Zentaris Inc (NASDAQ: AEZS ) which lost 29.93% to settle at 0.378 and Sunworks Inc (NASDAQ: SUNW ) which was down 28.82% to 0.747 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1724 to 1123 and 81 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1392 rose and 1292 declined, while 75 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.28% to 27.68.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was up 0.40% or 7.15 to $1787.05 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in August rose 1.13% or 0.45 to hit $40.27 a barrel, while the September Brent oil contract rose 0.07% or 0.03 to trade at $42.80 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 0.00% to 1.1238, while USD/JPY rose 0.05% to 107.53.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.05% at 97.203.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.