The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which rose 3.80% or 5.54 points to trade at 151.39 at the close. The Travelers Companies Inc (NYSE: TRV ) added 2.03% or 2.17 points to end at 109.15 and Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) was up 1.78% or 0.81 points to 46.28 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ), which lost 7.15% or 2.73 points to trade at 35.46 in late trade. Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) declined 3.18% or 1.52 points to end at 46.30 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) shed 2.79% or 1.60 points to 55.78.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which rose 20.94% to 4.39, TripAdvisor Inc (NASDAQ: TRIP ) which was up 13.33% to settle at 21.85 and Capri Holdings Ltd (NYSE: CPRI ) which gained 11.70% to close at 16.80.
The worst performers were Pfizer Inc (NYSE: PFE ) which was down 7.15% to 35.46 in late trade, NortonLifeLock Inc (NASDAQ: NLOK ) which lost 4.70% to settle at 21.71 and NetApp Inc (NASDAQ: NTAP ) which was down 4.20% to 42.67 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Cemtrex Inc (NASDAQ: CETX ) which rose 172.44% to 2.580, Digital Ally Inc (NASDAQ: DGLY ) which was up 75.89% to settle at 1.970 and Black Ridge Acquisition Corp (NASDAQ: AESE ) which gained 61.63% to close at 3.96.
The worst performers were Iterum Therapeutics PLC (NASDAQ: ITRM ) which was down 59.62% to 1.70 in late trade, Novus Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: NVUS ) which lost 51.57% to settle at 0.6150 and China Jo-Jo Drugstores Inc (NASDAQ: CJJD ) which was down 47.08% to 1.360 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2169 to 725 and 41 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1536 rose and 1125 declined, while 51 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 2.62% to 28.23.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 0.07% or 1.15 to $1750.55 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 0.28% or 0.10 to hit $35.59 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract fell 0.16% or 0.06 to trade at $38.52 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.01% to 1.1135, while USD/JPY rose 0.04% to 107.62.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.53% at 97.823.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.