The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ), which rose 3.09% or 4.34 points to trade at 144.97 at the close. Cisco Systems Inc (NASDAQ: CSCO ) added 1.82% or 0.86 points to end at 48.11 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was up 1.77% or 1.00 points to 57.34 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Boeing Co (NYSE: BA ), which lost 1.52% or 3.21 points to trade at 207.43 in late trade. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated (NYSE: UNH ) declined 1.53% or 5.04 points to end at 324.28 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) shed 0.80% or 0.47 points to 58.32.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Coty Inc (NYSE: COTY ) which rose 10.09% to 7.58, Activision Blizzard Inc (NASDAQ: ATVI ) which was up 9.98% to settle at 101.93 and Wynn Resorts Limited (NASDAQ: WYNN ) which gained 7.65% to close at 117.00.
The worst performers were TechnipFMC PLC (NYSE: FTI ) which was down 6.03% to 10.76 in late trade, Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (NYSE: COG ) which lost 5.64% to settle at 17.80 and Unum Group (NYSE: UNM ) which was down 4.82% to 23.50 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Atlantic American Corporation (NASDAQ: AAME ) which rose 132.01% to 5.545, BSQUARE Corporation (NASDAQ: BSQR ) which was up 85.26% to settle at 3.520 and Ocugen, Inc (NASDAQ: OCGN ) which gained 59.08% to close at 5.1700.
The worst performers were ATA Inc (NASDAQ: AACG ) which was down 59.18% to 5.838 in late trade, Cassava Sciences Inc (NASDAQ: SAVA ) which lost 24.40% to settle at 47.95 and Davidstea Inc (NASDAQ: DTEA ) which was down 24.02% to 5.220 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2084 to 1022 and 76 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1883 rose and 1197 declined, while 68 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 3.58% to 20.99 a new 1-month low.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for April delivery was up 1.15% or 20.65 to $1811.85 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in March rose 1.37% or 0.77 to hit $57.00 a barrel, while the April Brent oil contract rose 0.81% or 0.48 to trade at $59.48 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.69% to 1.2045, while USD/JPY fell 0.13% to 105.41.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.59% at 91.013.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.