The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS ), which rose 2.52% or 4.46 points to trade at 181.76 at the close. Visa Inc Class A (NYSE: V ) added 2.14% or 4.59 points to end at 218.96 and Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) was up 2.15% or 1.17 points to 55.50 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ), which lost 1.46% or 0.72 points to trade at 48.67 in late trade. Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ) declined 1.06% or 2.38 points to end at 221.77 and Verizon Communications Inc (NYSE: VZ ) shed 1.03% or 0.60 points to 58.20.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which rose 7.15% to 26.51, Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE: DVN ) which was up 5.36% to settle at 16.13 and Diamondback Energy Inc (NASDAQ: FANG ) which gained 4.91% to close at 49.31.
The worst performers were The AES Corporation (NYSE: AES ) which was down 2.27% to 22.78 in late trade, H&R Block Inc (NYSE: HRB ) which lost 1.92% to settle at 15.36 and Akamai Technologies Inc (NASDAQ: AKAM ) which was down 1.92% to 104.66 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Professional Diversity Network Inc (NASDAQ: IPDN ) which rose 110.22% to 2.8800, Bionano Genomics Inc (NASDAQ: BNGO ) which was up 62.78% to settle at 2.165 and SGOCO Group Ltd (NASDAQ: SGOC ) which gained 76.86% to close at 1.8300.
The worst performers were China Finance Online Co Limited (NASDAQ: JRJC ) which was down 23.01% to 8.46 in late trade, BOS Better Online Solutions (NASDAQ: BOSC ) which lost 20.91% to settle at 2.270 and Osmotica Pharmaceuticals PLC (NASDAQ: OSMT ) which was down 20.60% to 4.20 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 2090 to 985 and 93 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2060 rose and 950 declined, while 55 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 0.13% to 23.05.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.67% or 12.60 to $1895.50 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 0.62% or 0.30 to hit $48.30 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 0.57% or 0.29 to trade at $51.52 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.38% to 1.2293, while USD/JPY fell 0.31% to 103.23.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.34% at 89.612.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.