The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ), which rose 2.24% or 7.27 points to trade at 331.62 at the close. Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) added 1.91% or 0.92 points to end at 49.00 and Merck & Company Inc (NYSE: MRK ) was up 1.73% or 1.50 points to 88.05 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ), which lost 1.81% or 2.76 points to trade at 149.81 in late trade. Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ) declined 1.06% or 0.60 points to end at 55.97 and 3M Company (NYSE: MMM ) shed 0.66% or 1.19 points to 178.68.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were WW Grainger Inc (NYSE: GWW ) which rose 7.51% to 463.11, eBay Inc (NASDAQ: EBAY ) which was up 5.95% to settle at 76.72 and VeriSign Inc (NASDAQ: VRSN ) which gained 5.68% to close at 222.67.
The worst performers were Mohawk Industries Inc (NYSE: MHK ) which was down 10.98% to 177.21 in late trade, DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc (NYSE: DVA ) which lost 9.52% to settle at 103.24 and Western Digital Corporation (NASDAQ: WDC ) which was down 8.71% to 52.29 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Diginex Ltd (NASDAQ: EQOS ) which rose 47.31% to 6.850, Bit Digital Inc (NASDAQ: BTBT ) which was up 41.79% to settle at 14.250 and Greenidge Generation Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: GREE ) which gained 33.81% to close at 27.190.
The worst performers were Huadi International Group Co Ltd (NASDAQ: HUDI ) which was down 38.90% to 17.290 in late trade, Caredx Inc (NASDAQ: CDNA ) which lost 27.50% to settle at 51.00 and 4D Molecular Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ: FDMT ) which was down 22.11% to 24.03 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1755 to 1472 and 134 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1843 fell and 1842 advanced, while 185 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 1.63% to 16.26.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 1.03% or 18.65 to $1783.95 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in December rose 0.66% or 0.55 to hit $83.36 a barrel, while the January Brent oil contract rose 0.17% or 0.14 to trade at $83.80 a barrel.
EUR/USD was down 1.01% to 1.1561, while USD/JPY rose 0.38% to 114.00.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.84% at 94.108.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.