The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ: MSFT ), which rose 2.33% or 4.88 points to trade at 214.58 at the close. Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL ) added 2.22% or 10.27 points to end at 473.10 and Intel Corporation (NASDAQ: INTC ) was up 1.74% or 0.84 points to 49.17 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Dow Inc (NYSE: DOW ), which lost 2.13% or 0.95 points to trade at 43.69 in late trade. Chevron Corp (NYSE: CVX ) declined 1.83% or 1.58 points to end at 84.81 and Exxon Mobil Corp (NYSE: XOM ) shed 1.53% or 0.64 points to 41.32.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Synopsys Inc (NASDAQ: SNPS ) which rose 8.55% to 215.16, L Brands Inc (NYSE: LB ) which was up 3.86% to settle at 29.57 and Adobe Systems Incorporated (NASDAQ: ADBE ) which gained 3.56% to close at 478.48.
The worst performers were Estee Lauder Companies Inc (NYSE: EL ) which was down 6.70% to 198.27 in late trade, Diamondback Energy Inc (NASDAQ: FANG ) which lost 6.17% to settle at 40.63 and TJX Companies Inc (NYSE: TJX ) which was down 4.99% to 51.65 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Gevo Inc (NASDAQ: GEVO ) which rose 232.72% to 1.820, Top Ships Inc (NASDAQ: TOPS ) which was up 49.14% to settle at 1.7300 and BBQ Holdings Inc (NASDAQ: BBQ ) which gained 39.05% to close at 4.70.
The worst performers were Sypris Solutions Inc (NASDAQ: SYPR ) which was down 31.89% to 1.2600 in late trade, China HGS Real Estate Inc (NASDAQ: HGSH ) which lost 26.53% to settle at 0.7200 and Opera Ltd (NASDAQ: OPRA ) which was down 24.06% to 7.86 at the close.
Declining stocks outnumbered rising ones by 1865 to 1182 and 96 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 1701 fell and 1108 advanced, while 75 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was up 0.80% to 22.72.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for December delivery was down 0.76% or 14.95 to $1955.35 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in October fell 0.84% or 0.36 to hit $42.75 a barrel, while the October Brent oil contract fell 0.04% or 0.02 to trade at $44.86 a barrel.
EUR/USD was up 0.03% to 1.1862, while USD/JPY rose 0.00% to 105.80.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.14% at 92.752.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.