The biggest gainers of the session on the Dow Jones Industrial Average were Salesforce.com Inc (NYSE: CRM ), which rose 1.27% or 2.99 points to trade at 237.83 at the close. Nike Inc (NYSE: NKE ) added 1.27% or 1.91 points to end at 152.21 and Caterpillar Inc (NYSE: CAT ) was up 1.11% or 2.45 points to 222.40 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS ), which lost 3.16% or 12.74 points to trade at 390.31 in late trade. Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ ) declined 0.85% or 1.46 points to end at 169.79 and Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc (NASDAQ: WBA ) shed 0.77% or 0.42 points to 53.91.
The top performers on the S&P 500 were Coterra Energy Inc (NYSE: CTRA ) which rose 6.07% to 22.54, Take-Two Interactive Software Inc (NASDAQ: TTWO ) which was up 5.15% to settle at 156.06 and Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc (NYSE: FCX ) which gained 5.02% to close at 45.15.
The worst performers were Quest Diagnostics Incorporated (NYSE: DGX ) which was down 6.80% to 147.14 in late trade, Biogen Inc (NASDAQ: BIIB ) which lost 6.70% to settle at 225.34 and T. Rowe Price Group Inc (NASDAQ: TROW ) which was down 6.63% to 180.83 at the close.
The top performers on the NASDAQ Composite were Electrocore LLC (NASDAQ: ECOR ) which rose 64.03% to 0.8800, Immuron Ltd ADR (NASDAQ: IMRN ) which was up 49.61% to settle at 3.830 and Surgepays Inc (NASDAQ: SURG ) which gained 32.08% to close at 2.80.
The worst performers were Avinger Inc (NASDAQ: AVGR ) which was down 25.67% to 0.3571 in late trade, Dogness International Corp Class A (NASDAQ: DOGZ ) which lost 19.83% to settle at 2.9100 and Nutriband Inc (NASDAQ: NTRB ) which was down 17.30% to 6.74 at the close.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1669 to 1542 and 144 ended unchanged; on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange, 2301 fell and 1496 advanced, while 199 ended unchanged on the New York Stock Exchange.
The CBOE Volatility Index , which measures the implied volatility of S&P 500 options, was down 4.29% to 17.62.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for February delivery was up 0.40% or 7.25 to $1825.75 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in February rose 1.91% or 1.55 to hit $82.77 a barrel, while the March Brent oil contract rose 0.06% or 0.05 to trade at $84.80 a barrel.
EUR/USD was unchanged 0.00% to 1.1442, while USD/JPY rose 0.02% to 114.65.
The US Dollar Index Futures was down 0.68% at 94.975.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.