New Delhi, May 29 (IANS) India's urban unemployment rate fell to 6.8 per cent during the January-March period of 2022-23 from 7.2 per cent in the corresponding period of last year, according to data released by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation on Monday.
At this rate, the unemployment rate in Indian cities is the lowest since the quarterly periodic labour force survey (PLFS) came into existence in 2018-19.
As per this survey, a person is considered employed if they worked for at least one hour on any day during the seven days preceding the day they are surveyed.
In January-March, India's urban unemployment rate fell even as the labour force participation rate increased to 48.5 per cent from 48.2 per cent the previous quarter.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.