(Adds company news items, futures)
* CENTRICA: Centrica CNA.L reported a 362 million pound loss from continuing operations for 2020, due to the impacts of coronavirus, warmer weather and weaker commodity prices. HIKMA: Hikma Pharmaceuticals HIK.L said it expects higher sales for all of its three businesses for the new year. ST. JAMES'S PLACE: St. James's Place SJP.L posted a 75% surge in annual profit, helped by markets' recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic fallout. ANGLO AMERICAN : Anglo American AAL.L posted a slight fall in profits for 2020 but boosted dividends. SERCO: Serco Group Plc SRP.L reinstated a dividend and raised its 2021 forecasts. DRAX: Drax DRX.L reported a 235 million pound loss before tax for 2020, after taking a 60 million pound hit due to the coronavirus. ASTON MARTIN: Aston Martin AML.L said a turnaround plan would see it takes the first steps towards profitability and boost sales this year. BAE SYSTEMS: BAE Systems BAES.L posted a 2% rise in annual earnings per share, beating forecasts, and guided to further growth in 2021 as its order book expands. ASSOCIATED BRITISH FOODS: Associated British Foods ABF.L warned that the loss of sales from lockdown store closures for its first half to Feb. 27 would be 1.1 billion pounds. STANDARD CHARTERED: Standard Chartered Plc STAN.L posted a 57% fall in annual profit, missing analyst estimates, on higher credit impairments due to the COVID-19 pandemic. GOLD: Gold eased as U.S. Treasury yields hovered near a one-year peak, tarnishing bullion's appeal. OIL: Oil prices extended gains for a fourth session to reach the highest levels in more than 13 months. The UK blue-chip index .FTSE closed 0.5% higher on Wednesday as gains in commodity-linked and banking stocks on investor optimism about a post-pandemic economic recovery outweighed losses in defensive sectors. For more on the factors affecting European stocks, please click on: LIVE/
TODAY'S UK PAPERS
> Financial Times
> Other business headlines
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.