(For a Reuters live blog on U.S., UK and European stock markets, click LIVE/ or type LIVE/ in a news window)
* STOXX set to end Q1 with 8% rise
* Deliveroo IPO disappoints, peers drop
* Credit Suisse extends drop for third day
(Adds comment, updates prices)
By Sruthi Shankar
March 31 (Reuters) - European stocks were flat on Wednesday as a 30% slump for delivery company Deliveroo in its London debut took the shine off the fourth straight quarterly rise for the benchmark STOXX 600.
The pan-European STOXX 600 index .STOXX inched down 0.1% to 430.4 - trading below its pre-pandemic peak of 433.9. The benchmark was on course to end March with a 6.4% rise and the first quarter with an 8% gain.
Shares in Deliveroo ROO.L opened well below the initial public offering price, falling as low as 271 pence. The company had priced its IPO at 390 pence per share, giving it a valuation of 7.6 billion pounds ($10.5 billion), less than initially expected. peers Just Eat Takeaway TKWY.AS and Delivery Hero DHER.DE fell 2.0% and 0.3%, respectively.
"The biggest concern is regulation around worker rights. The flexible employee model of Deliveroo's riders is a huge pillar of the group's plans for success," Sophie Lund-Yates, an equity analyst at Hargreaves Lansdown (LON: HRGV ), said in a note.
H&M HMb.ST fell 2.8% after the Swedish retailer reported a quarterly loss and said it would not propose a dividend at its annual general meeting. sensitive sectors such as autos, banks and travel and leisure have been the top performers in Europe this quarter as investors hoped that the reopening of economies would spur growth in these cheap sectors.
"A lot of the winners of 2020 have become losers of 2021 on the recovery aspect," said Roger Jones, head of equities at London & Capital. "European stocks still have the cyclical element to them that will continue to be favoured by investors."
Credit Suisse CSGN.S extended declines for a third day, down 2.5%, on worries about its losses linked to the downfall of Archegos Capital, which defaulted on margin calls earlier this week. CD Projekt CDR.WA dropped 13.1% to the bottom of STOXX 600 after its strategy update that included seeking M&A targets disappointed investors. business IT services provider Capgemini CAPP.PA rose 1.6% after it raised its medium-term margin targets.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.