(Updates death toll, adds quote)
AHMEDABAD, India, Dec 22 (Reuters) - A blast at a gas pipeline in the western Indian state of Gujarat killed two people and injured one early on Tuesday, authorities said.
It was not immediately clear who ran the pipeline and state-run Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) ONGC.NS denied media reports that it was the operator. Local company Sabarmati Gas, partly-owned by Bharat Petroleum Corp BPCL.NS , also said it was not involved.
The massive explosion destroyed two houses in a residential area near ONGC's Kalol field in Gandhinagar district, trapping people under the debris, officials said.
"We still don't know the cause of the blast," senior Gandhinagar official Kuldeep Arya told Reuters after visiting the site. "There is an old ONGC pipeline in the area but it has been unused since 2015."
ONGC, however, said the pipeline where the accident took place did not belong to the company but it was helping with the rescue efforts.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.