(For a live blog on European stocks, type LIVE/ in an Eikon news window)
* STOXX 600 near one-week low
* Cyclical sectors lead declines
* IMF predicts deeper global recession due to pandemic
* Dialog Semiconductor lifts forecast, shares jump
(Updates to market close)
By Sruthi Shankar
June 24 (Reuters) - European stocks slumped to a one week-low on Wednesday as a surge in coronavirus cases and news that U.S. was weighing tariffs on European products dashed investors hopes of a speedy economic recovery.
The pan-European STOXX 600 .STOXX closed 2.8% lower, recording its second worst fall this month. Economically sensitive cyclical sectors such as travel & leisure .SXTP , automakers .SXAP , oil & gas .SXEP and banks .SX7P led declines, falling between 3.7% and 4.7%.
Many U.S. states saw record daily increases in COVID-19 infections amid easing of lockdowns, while a media report that European Union countries are prepared to bar entry to Americans raised worries of fresh restrictions. adding to woes, the United States may modify duties on a range of EU products and was weighing tariffs on other products from Britain, France, Spain and Germany that have an approximate value of $3.1 billion, according to the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative. at a particularly difficult time for markets, this breakdown in relations provides another reason for traders to be cautious about the forthcoming period," said Joshua Mahony, senior market analyst at IG.
Investors piled into risky assets on Tuesday after data showed improving business activity in France and Germany as well as on White House reassurances about the Phase One U.S.-China trade deal.
But European Central Bank chief economist Philip Lane said that solid data may not be a good guide to how the euro zone recovers from the crisis and the International Monetary Fund predicted a deeper damage to global output. DAX .GDAXI slumped 3.4% even as the Ifo institute's survey showed the strongest rise ever recorded in the country's business morale in June. top decliner on the STOXX 600 was scandal-hit Wirecard WDIG.DE , which plunged 28.3% after a slew of negative reports. the few bright spots, Austrian sensor maker AMS AMS.S rose 6% after JPMorgan (NYSE: JPM ) upgraded the stock to "overweight" from "neutral", while Dialog Semiconductor DLGS.DE jumped 6.4% after raising its quarterly revenue outlook.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.