(For a live blog on European stocks, type LIVE/ in an Eikon news window)
* Bayer falls 5%, biggest drag on STOXX 600
* Stocks give up some of previous session's gains
* Micro Focus slips on bleak forecast
* Italian banks UBI and Intesa slip in takeover battle
(Updates with closing prices)
By Sruthi Shankar and Susan Mathew
July 7 (Reuters) - European shares fell on Tuesday as surging U.S. coronavirus cases and forecasts for a deeper-than-feared recession in the euro zone dimmed optimism around a post-pandemic rebound.
The pan-European STOXX 600 index .STOXX slipped 0.6%, falling back from a near one-month high.
The banking sector .SX7P , which had risen 4% in the previous session tracking a global rally, fell by 1.4%, while real estate .SX86P , technology .SX8P and telecoms .SXKP shares each dropped between 1% and 1.8%.
German drugs and pesticides maker Bayer BAYGn.DE slumped 5% after a U.S. judge questioned a long-negotiated settlement of lawsuits relating to its weedkiller Roundup. the economic impacts of the coronavirus crisis continue to be felt, the European Commission said the 19 nation single currency area would contract by a record 8.7% before rising by 6.1% in 2021, worse than its previous forecast. U.S. states posted record daily coronavirus case counts, prompting many to reverse reopening plans as the U.S. death toll topped 130,000. coronavirus outbreaks in some parts of the world... supports our cautious stance and adds to downside risks for the advanced economies in particular," said Jennifer McKeown, head of the global economics service at Capital Economics.
"Even if the authorities continue to shun draconian restrictions, people may choose to avoid many types of economic activity."
London's FTSE 100 .FTSE was down 1.5% as the pound GBP= rose to three-week highs on optimism that British and EU trade negotiators could find common ground. GBP/ market focus will also be on signs of progress from talks this week in Brussels on a European recovery fund, which investors hope will be provided in part as grants, as proposed by the European Union. forecasts for the rest of year saw Micro Focus MCRO.L , slide 19.6%, while French catering and food services group Sodexo EXHO.PA dropped 4.1%. copper and iron ore prices saw Rio Tinto RIO.L rise 0.4%.
Italy's UBI Banca UBI.MI and Intesa Sanpaolo ISP.MI both fell amid an increasingly bitter takeover battle, with UBI reiterating that Intesa's bid does not adequately reward shareholders in the smaller bank.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.