(For a Reuters live blog on U.S., UK and European stock markets, click LIVE/ or type LIVE/ in a news window)
* STOXX 600 at highest since late-Feb
* Banking sector jumps to over 8-month high, BBVA leads
* Moderna 's vaccine 94.5% effective in preventing COVID-19
* Vodafone gains on strong earnings forecast (Updates prices throughout)
By Shashank Nayar and Ambar Warrick
Nov 16 (Reuters) - European shares ended at a more-than-eight-month high on Monday as positive data from Moderna Inc's COVID-19 vaccine boosted investor confidence in a faster pace of economic revival, while signs of recovery in Asia also helped.
Moderna MRNA.O became the second drugmaker in a week to report high efficacy for an experimental coronavirus vaccine after Pfizer (NYSE: PFE ) made a similar announcement on Nov. 9. more companies that can develop a vaccine candidate that can be shown to be effective, the more optimistic investors will be about being able to see a way out of this pandemic and for economic activity, sort of come back to some semblance of normality," said Michael Hewson, chief market analyst at CMC (NS: CMC ) Markets.
BBVA BBVA.MC ended 16% higher and was one of the top three performing stocks on the STOXX 600 index after PNC Financial (NYSE: PNC ) Services Group PNC.N said it would buy its U.S. business for $11.6 billion in cash. benchmark STOXX 600 has gained nearly 40% from its March lows and is on track for its best month in nearly three decades. But the economic disruption arising out of a spike in coronavirus cases across Europe has led the index to underperform its U.S. peers this year.
European Central Bank Vice President Luis de Guindos asked Euro zone banks on Monday to keep using their capital buffers to absorb losses without holding back credit to the real economy, which, he said, needs time to rebound from a pandemic-induced recession. market has already priced in such vaccine news as there is still a long way for the vaccine to be completely developed and for economies to genuinely recover," said Keith Temperton, a sales trader at Forte Securities.
Data showing that China's factory output rose faster than expected in October and that retail sales surged had helped sentiment earlier in the day. company news, Vodafone Group VOD.L gained 6.7% after it said it was increasingly confident about its full-year performance following a "resilient" first-half, despite underlying momentum being obscured by the impact of COVID-19. Nexi NEXII.MI jumped 0.5% after it struck its second tie-up in six weeks, agreeing a 7.8 billion euro ($9.2 billion) merger with Nordic rival Nets to create Europe's largest payments group.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.