Ulta Beauty rises after beating expectations on same-store sales
By Liz Moyer
Investing.com -- Ulta Beauty Inc (NASDAQ: ULTA ) beat expectations for sales and profit and forecast strong results for the coming year as shoppers continued to spend money on cosmetics and beauty products.
Shares of the retailer were down 2.3% in after-hours trading but are up 11.3% so far this year.
Ulta reported net sales of $3.22 billion in the fourth quarter and earnings per share of $6.68. Analysts expected $3.02B of sales and earnings per share of $5.63.
Revenue in the fourth quarter was up 18.2% from the prior year. But comparable store sales are slowing. For the quarter, they rose 15.6% compared with the 21.4% growth in the fourth quarter a year ago. For the year, same-store sales gained 15.6% compared with 37.9% the year before.
“Ulta Beauty’s strong fourth quarter results punctuate an exceptional year with record sales, profitability, and member growth, reflecting robust demand and best-in-class execution,” said CEO Dave Kimbell, noting that annual revenue surpassed $10B for the first time in its 33-year history. “As we move into fiscal 2023, we remain optimistic about the strength and resiliency of the beauty category, and I am excited about the opportunities ahead to continue to expand our leadership position, capture market share gains, and drive long term value for all our stakeholders.”
For the full year, the company reported $10.2B in sales and earnings per share of $24.01. Analysts expected $10B of sales and earnings per share of $23.13.
Ulta’s outlook surpassed expectations. It projects net sales for fiscal 2023 of $10.95B to $11.05B. It expects comparable store sales to rise 4% to 5%.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or