Investing.com – U.K. equities were higher at the close on Friday, as gains in the Oil Equipment Services & Distribution , Life Insurance/Assurance and Oil & Gas Producers sectors propelled shares higher.
At the close in London, the Investing.com United Kingdom 100 gained 2.25% to hit a new 3-month high.
The biggest gainers of the session on the Investing.com United Kingdom 100 were Carnival PLC (LON: CCL ), which rose 19.84% or 237.0 points to trade at 1431.5 at the close. Melrose Industries PLC (LON: MRON ) added 15.11% or 19.55 points to end at 148.95 and International Consolidated Airlines Group S.A. (LON: ICAG ) was up 13.64% or 39.30 points to 327.50 in late trade.
Biggest losers included Fresnillo PLC (LON: FRES ), which lost 5.21% or 39.40 points to trade at 717.40 in late trade. National Grid PLC (LON: NG ) declined 2.67% or 25.20 points to end at 918.60 and Auto Trader Group Plc (LON: AUTOA ) shed 2.65% or 15.00 points to 551.00.
Advancing stocks outnumbered falling ones by 1637 to 597 and 149 ended unchanged on the London Stock Exchange.
In commodities trading, Gold Futures for August delivery was down 2.54% or 43.95 to $1683.45 a troy ounce. Meanwhile, Crude oil for delivery in July rose 5.08% or 1.90 to hit $39.31 a barrel, while the August Brent oil contract rose 5.43% or 2.17 to trade at $42.16 a barrel.
GBP/USD was up 0.63% to 1.2673, while EUR/GBP fell 1.02% to 0.8908.
The US Dollar Index Futures was up 0.31% at 96.960.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.