TN revised power tariff comes to effect today
Chennai, Sep 10 (IANS) The Tamil Nadu (NS: TNNP ) Electricity Regulatory Commission (TNERC) has revised the tariff rates with effect from Saturday despite stiff opposition from several sectors.
The commission has also approved a 6 per cent increase in tariff rates every July.
According to the revised tariff, the price is Rs 4.50 per unit (up to 400 units). There will not be any subsidy for domestic consumers.
The 100-unit free supply for all domestic consumers will continue and those who dona¿t want the subsidy can withdraw it after registering an application with Tangedco.
A separate tariff slab, LT Tariff 1D is newly introduced for common supply for lighting, water supply, lift, etc.
Gyms, swimming pools, sewage treatment plants, water treatment plants, and fire hydrant systems in gyms in residential complexes are brought under a common supply tariff. These were earlier under commercial tariff.
Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation (Tangedco) has introduced a peak hour system for LT tariff II-B (1), IIB(2), IIIB and V.
Tangedco will collect 25 per cent energy charges for commercial consumers through the new system.
The duration of peak hours is 6 to 10 in the morning and evening.
It may be noted that there was stiff opposition to the hike in tariff in Tamil Nadu with several organizations including MSME's and farmer associations have requested the power utility not to hike the charges as the industrial units were slowly coming back to normalcy after the lockdown associated with the Covid-19 pandemic.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.
Drop an image here or Supported formats: *.jpg, *.png, *.gif up to 5mb
Drop an image here or