By Yasin Ebrahim
Investing.com - Tencent Music Entertainment reported Monday mixed fourth quarter results as earnings beat but revenue fell short of the expectations as increased competition and the weaker macro environment dented growth.
Tencent Music Entertainment (NYSE: TME ) was down more than 2% in after-hours trade.
The online music and audio entertainment platform reported adjusted EPS of RMB0.50, down from RMB0.80 a year earlier, as revenue fell 8.7%, to RMB7.607 billion. That compared with Wall Street estimates for EPS of RMB 0.08 on revenue of $7.609 billion.
Online music mobile monthly active users, or MAUs, fell 1% year-over-year, driven by churn in casual users served amid increased competition. But paying online music paying users reached a record-high 76.2 million, benefitting from expanded sales channels and paying user loyalty, the company said.
"Amid increasing competition and changing macro environment, social entertainment services MAUs and paying users were lower year-over-year and quarter-over-quarter," it added.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.